Friday, November 14, 2008

Beaches

Okay, I'm finally blogging about our beach excursions from our recent vacation. I only had about 600 pictures from the beaches to sort through so it's no wonder it has taken me so long. We visited three different beaches on this trip. Our first was on Balboa Island. I assumed the beach is called Balboa beach, but I'm not sure. We weren't planning to play at the beach this day. We just saw it while we were wandering around the island and decided to rest there for a bit. So this is twins' the very first time at the beach and I didn't take very many pictures of them. It was a really steep beach and had fairly large waves.

We didn't stay long because Sydney got a little too brave and a big wave soaked her. A great big wave came and we could all see what was going to happen. I started screaming "Run Sydney!!", but she didn't. So she and I spent the next little while in the restroom trying to ring out her wet clothes.


Tanner and Natalie love their Grandma. Natalie is giving her lots of slobbery kisses.
A few days later we checked out Laguna Beach which turned out to be our favorite. This time we were more prepared with things like swimsuits and towels. My Dad and Adam went diving this day so they were not with us for this one.


Tanner is wondering if I'm coming or what.


It was a little difficult to tell with Tanner if he was having a good time or not. He looked pretty concerned and worried most of the time. We knew he enjoyed it though because when you tried to walk him back up to the towels his legs would suddenly stop working.

It was a little easier to tell that Natalie loved it because her legs started working really well. She is still not walking on her own, but she put forth a pretty good effort on the beach.

The kids didn't have many sand toys so my mom and I pulled together whatever cash we could find (neither of us brought wallets) and went to the beach toy store. Sydney came up with all sorts of jobs for herself with these toys.

Then we decided it was too sunny and we didn't have enough cash for an umbrella, so we made Josh go back to the store with his handy credit card and get one for us. It was so nice to have. You just can't find many beach umbrellas for sale in Utah.

Natalie is waving good-bye to Laguna Beach.
The next day we visited Huntington Beach. This beach was slightly inferior to Laguna Beach for two reasons. 1) It just doesn't have quite the beauty of Laguna beach. And, 2) It cost $10 (cash only) to park and I'd already spent all our cash at the previously mentioned beach toy store, so my Dad had to come back to the entrance to give us some cash.


This beach had a lot of surfers which were fun to watch. That's what were are doing here. Tanner was a little more cautious this day and insisted that both Grandpa and I hold his hands.

Here, Tanner is almost smiling. He and I are on the same page - the ocean is awesome and fun and something to be feared.

Sydney and Daddy went our searching for seashells. We didn't see any signs that said "Don't take the seashells" at this beach.

And here is proof that Adam was with us on this vacation. He spent most of his day laying on the beach working on his tan.

8 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh, my friend. I'm glad you loved our beaches. They really have a special place in my heart that rivals the Wasatch mountains. Your days look so sunny and warm, even if it is November. Next time you're in Oceanside (between Balboa and Laguna) let me know and we'll have a beach picnic or something.

Trixie said...

Oh, the beach. I am so jealous. Your pictures are beautiful. I absolutely love the family shot. It looks like it would make a great Christmas card.

Debra said...

Looks way fun...but all I can think of is the shark attack show I watched earlier this week!!! I've only been in the ocean once (Atlantic) and I was sure a shark was gonna get me!

Amber said...

So so cute. Beaches are so photogenic--how can you not get great pics while you're at one :)

Kalley said...

I think I was 18 years old before I had my first beach and ocean experience and I don't have any pictures to show for it. These pictures look fabulous. I can't wait to take my boys someday.

wende said...

oh how i love the beach. next time, we need to make this part of our california adventure! such cute photos!

Tobi said...

Josh and Lisa,
I've been following your blog ever since I saw a comment from you on Brittany's blog. Your little family is so adorable! Josh, you seem to find so much joy in your wife and kids and it makes me happy to know that your life is so full.
Tobi

James Rupprecht said...

Lisa/Josh,

I have fond memories of Balboa/Newport...in fact, the picture of Sydney and the large wave is about the exact spot next to the pier where my little brother was hit by a wave and was rescued by a lifeguard! We loved to body surf and boogie board there.