Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Springy craftiness

I'm not much of a sewer/seamstress. But recently I decided to try making a new bag for myself. Maybe I've been inspired by all the cute stuff my friend Lindsey sews. So over our recent St. George weekend my mom and my sister Rachel decided to make Amy Butler bags. We got some super cute stuff from Quilted Works, my cousin Sharla's shop. This project was challenging for me mostly because sewing instructions don't seem to be written in English. My mom had to explain pretty much every step for me. But they turned out cute! Here's mine.
I'm normally a conservative black purse kind of girl. So it's been pretty fun to have something different! When we got home I decided to try a girly girl bag pattern my mom had. Compared to the Amy Butley bag this was a piece of cake! The directions were simple and it took far less time.

The bags are small. Sydney already had one my mom made for her to be a Sunday bag. She brings her coloring stuff and small books to keep her occupied during church.
This bag was so much fun to make that I decided to make another girly girl bag to give away in Dionne's Springtime swap. Hope you like it Sarah!


This is the first craft swap I've ever done. I sent Sarah the above bag and received a couple sets of her cute note cards that she sells on Etsy. So fun. She's quite the talented artist!

7 comments:

Dionne said...

Oh lovely! Thanks for sharing this! Those bags are sooo pretty, I love the colors! And the notecards she sent you look pretty too! Hooray for swaps!

I will be posting a link to this on my blog in a few days. Just waiting on the last swappers to receive their items.

Lindsey said...

So cute, friend! My you've been productive. I'm so glad I could inspire you, and you did a darling job. What Amy Butler pattern did you use? You should try the Frenchie Bag I just made. It was way easier. If you do try it, be sure to ask me tips, now that I've made it, there are for sure things I'd change. Actually, we should have our own little pattern lending swap! You send me yours and I'll send you mine! Deal?

Lisa Moore said...

I'd love to trade patterns with you Lindsey! Except that the patterns I used are actually not mine. They're my moms. I'll let you know when I get something of my own and then we can swap! I have no idea which Amy Butler pattern we used either. I'll have to look that up. It was also scaled down to 70% of the original and we added the button on the front. I'll have to look into the Frenchie bag. Yours was way cute!

Debra said...

i am so amazed that you have time for all of this crafty stuff!!! how fun!

wende said...

cutest bags ever! i'm so glad i got to see them in person, you did a great job!

Mick and Tiff said...

Lisa,
I found your blog through Sara's and can I just tell you I LOVE that first bag with the button. You did a great job!! I was telling Sara how much I wanted it the last time I saw her. Very cute!

Mick and Tiff said...

oops... Lisa this is Tiffany (Astle) Simmons.