Monday, April 12, 2010

Decisions, decisions

I don't know if this is just a pregnancy thing or nesting thing or what. Lately, I've found that there are a lot of things that bug me in my living space. But I can't seem to make a decision about how to change any of them. I think one of the problems is that I know once I change something I'm going to have to live with it for a very long time so I have to get it right the first time.

My first thing is this landscape edging. I want something because I'm tired of having to get the shovel out to re-edge the whole thing. I bought one box of this faux brick stuff so see how I liked it before I buy a whole bunch more of it to put in the front yard. From a distance I like the way it looks, but up close it definitely looks faux and not real. So I keep going back and forth between liking it and not liking it. Josh has made it clear he doesn't love it. There are more expensive options as far as landscape edging goes, but then what if I don't like those either?

Now around to the back of the house we have this lovely deck which the previous owners so obviously did themselves or hired someone who didn't know what they were doing. It's not very well supported and never had any railing so after the kids kept jumping and falling off we built the flower boxes along the sides as a band-aid solution. And it's just a weird size - too small to put any patio furniture on. So do we make it bigger? Can't really go much bigger since there are window wells in the way off to the left. And we can't just do steps down from the door because we have to have at least a 3 ft. landing to be up to code.

I like our kitchen, dining, and family room area because it's so nice and open but then we have this awkward little space in the corner. What do I do with this? The kids love having a desk to color on and someday we would like to have a family computer there. So far I haven't found the perfect solution unless I want to have something built custom. It's not like we're made of money. Obviously I can't tackle all these projects at once so I also can't decide which one is the highest priority.
One more thing we can't seem to make a decision on is what to name this baby girl who is going to make an appearance in the near future. We've changed our minds multiple times so if you've ever asked us what the name is going to be and we told you a name, it's probably something different now. Hopefully we'll meet her and just know what her name is supposed to be. For some reason it's stressful this time around. We don't anything too popular, but we do want something practical. We want it to sound good for a baby as well as mature enough for an adult. Wish she could just tell us what she wants to be named!

6 comments:

Stacy Holmes said...

Oh the joys of home ownership! When I feel this way (every day) I leave the house and go to the library or somewhere else that doesn't cost money. Then, when I get back, I am tired so the little things don't bug me so bad..or, look on KSL classifieds and see if you can find a cheap solution..good luck with the names!

Andrea said...

You sound like me! Except, I usually know what I want to do, but don't have the money to get there. Jer and I did decide that in the warm months, we will steer our budget toward outside projects and in the cold months we would work on the inside projects. It seems like the list in my head is never ending though. One thing at a time, right?

Tobi said...

I hope you don't mind that I blog stock. Josh was a great friend - back in the day - and I love to see your cute kids. I had a thought for you on the corner. Have you looked into getting a secretary's desk? It is like a desk hidden in an armoire. You can open it for functional space, then close it up and it looks pretty in your living room. I have that on my mind because I really want one.

Debra said...

If these are your biggest problems, you are doing GREAT!!!!

As for the baby naming...both of my girls I had names picked out for and then they were born and didn't look like what I had picked so I changed them. Kira took us two days to name. Don't worry!!! It will work out!
Deb

linda said...

I'd say do your outside projects first, but I'm a huge fan of being in the outdoors...
Your corner is a bit of a challenge, have to think about that one!

Jenny Moore said...

Well, I think the obvious solution is to move to Davis County! ;-)