Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Reminders to set reminders

One of the most true statements that directly apply to me is that major problem in the new century is not getting information, it's sorting through it. I've had some major struggles lately thinking of the word I want to use (I couldn't think of the word 'treadmill' tonight), but am hopeful it will return when sleep does. The funny thing is (there I go again with that phrase), I get so intent on making sure I write things down so I don't forget them, I'm going crazy.

If you'll note on my Outlook tasks, I have two reminders to set reminders. Enough said about that. I have reminders to take out the garbage, clean the furnace filter, clean the kitty litter (which has been 'snooze'd for a few extra days now. Some people say if you make lists, you look at all the things you want to get done but haven't, and get depressed. I'm of the opinion anything that gets put on a list and gets accomplished is a goal accomplished, and should be rewarded.

Ok...it's 12:21 AM and I'm in my second wind. My last thing to mention is my monthly reminders. I'm sure if you've read this far you probably can't sleep either, but I once heard a talk where you should take your temperature, give yourself a report card, (follow the analogy you prefer) every so often. I created the task in May 2006 and I hadn't done it yet, until now.

I recently heard a radio spot that compared what you were interested in and what your children were interested in (i.e. who was the latest pick for your sports team vs. what school books are in your child's backpack), showing how you're doing balancing between you and the time you spend with your kids. I think I've always avoided the report card, not so much that I'm doing horrible, but unlike not feeling like I'm doing well or near perfection.


Tonight I went home teaching, and talked with the Elder's quorum president (he subbed for my companion who's sick) about validation from God, yourself, spouse, etc. He said he wondered how many men take their twins home teaching to give their wives a break. I think I'm finally starting to see potential in the possibility I might plug the selfish holes that make me feel so unkind and selfish.
Ok...I'm tired.

No comments: