Monday, March 23, 2009

Warning: Cyberpower power backups

I feel obligated to write this, hoping anyone with a Cyberpower battery backup or surge suppressor should be aware of, or warn from purchasing.

Last night the power went out. I felt reassured as all critical equipment was on a battery backup. When I came down to work this morning, one of my monitors was fried. I called to figure out what they needed to send back my 800AVR battery backup, as well as file a claim about the monitor.

I was told that I needed to pay a certified technician to get in writing that the monitor won't turn on. I need to send in the receipt of paying for the monitor, the battery backup, have registered the device, pay to ship back the battery backup, etc etc. After prodding they said they'd pay up to $75 for the certified technician fee, but the shipping was still my cost to send their battery backup back. All this depending on if they have proof that their device was damaged and that they could be assured that device caused the problem. This all had to be done in 10 days or the claim was invalid.

Tell me why I should pay for the tech, shipping their device back (this is the second one I've had to ship back), and who says their device has to be damaged for it to fail? So many loopholes it begs the question of whether the monitor is worth the $75 tech (that they approve), $18 shipping, just for them to claim the device isn't damaged so it couldn't have blown the monitor, and hence not cover the tech cost or recoup the shipping charges?

At least the first one (of which this is the replacement for) failed before frying anything else.

1 comment:

Okie said...

Yikes. That totally sucks. Sorry dood.