Sunday, May 3, 2009

A wicked birthday

So my birthday was 2 weeks ago and I'm barely getting around to blogging. It was such a great birthday that I had to wait until I had adequate time to rave about it on here. Back in December our friend Okie found out that previous season ticket holders at the Capitol Theatre could get tickets to Wicked a couple days early. So being the super friends that they are they asked if we would like to join them! Yay! Because basically I have wanted to see this broadway for the last 4 years. I have all the music memorized, the piano book, a magnet on my fridge, and have even seen an illegally recorded tape of it. Yeah I'm basically obsessed. But I had never seen the real thing. It was the best birthday ever!! Tickets ended up being extremely hard to come by. They apparently sold out within minutes the day they were available. Anyways, I love every single minute of it. The talent was amazing and in my opinion every bit as good as the original cast on the CD. Elphaba could really belt out those notes in "Defying Gravity" and Glinda's song "Popular" was one of my favorites. I couldn't believe how she could bounce around the stage in heels all hyper and sing at the same time. Yeah basically I just sat there and grinned all goofy-like for almost the whole production. It was also extra fun because we got to go with Okie and Lynette who basically make me laugh till I'm crying almost every time we see them. Thanks for the fun night guys!

Josh and I during the intermission when I bought my awesome Wicked t-shirt.

Okie and Lynette are very savvy to the plays at Capitol Theatre and were smart enough to buy a poster during the intermission and then wait outside the backstage exit at the end of the show to get an autograph from all the cast. Why didn't I think of that?? Why didn't Okie tell me to think of that? Oh well! Next time I will be so smart. So above is "Glinda" signing with her pink pen.

Here's me, "Elphaba", and Lynette. Elphaba looks pretty different when she's not green.

2 comments:

Okie said...

Sooo much fun. Glad we were all able to go together. Made it all that much more fun. :)

Janelle said...

Sounds like a blast! My sis-in-law tried to get tickets but hit the major sell out and didn't succeed! Oh well, another time! I had always wanted to see Phantom of the Opera since I was in 7th grade so when Justin and I went to NY a year after we were married we got to go and I LOVED it! I'm so glad you were able to go since you are a true fan!