Sunday, July 25, 2010

The jungle


Seriously, our garden is getting a little out of control this year. This picture was taken about 2 weeks ago and it's gotten even crazier since then. I'm happy it's producing so well but I'm a little worried it's going to strangle itself. The cantaloupe are being especially aggressive towards the raspberries, and if I have to pick between the two fruit I'll choose raspberries. I decided to try growing melons this year and every time I mentioned it to a fellow gardener I kind of got a "good luck" look. So I decided to start some seeds indoors and transplant them outside when it got warm enough. Just for good measure I also planted a hill of seeds next to each transplant. And for extra good measure I planted the hills and transplants less than half the recommended space apart. I figured I could thin them out later. I'd rather have too many successful plants than not enough and end up wasting all that precious garden space. But the thing is I have a really hard time thinning because that seems like such a waste a perfectly healthy plant. Well all the seeds and transplants have thrived except 2 of the watermelons, and I haven't really done any thinning. At this point I have watermelon and cantaloupe vines all clinging to each other and thinning is a real mess. And how do I choose which plants should live and which plants should die anyways? So I guess we'll just see what we get. I think next year I might build something the vines can climb up so we can utilize our space a little better.
It still never ceases to amaze me when I see some of these...

and these.

It's like magic the way we can grow food in our very own backyard. And this year we installed a drip system so I feel like I've done so little work to help them grow that I really can't take much credit. Besides we also have tons of these little ladies helping out.
They don't call them worker bees for nothing. These girls have been super busy in our garden! By the way, did you know all worker bees are female? Yeah the male bee's only job is to fertilize the queen bee so she can make more worker bees. I'm glad our species doesn't operate that way. Worker bees literally work themselves to death. So I will give them most of the credit for my thriving garden.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Wow! Very impressive. I hope to some day have a "thriving" garden. My is sad. I think I planted too late and I'm not sure if my new square foot gardening is working as well as I would like.
I'll have to come get some pointers from you!

Sare said...

I feel bad about thinning too- it's just not fair to kill a plant that worked so hard to get to that point.
I think I'll have to get some pointers from you too as 90% of the peas and carrots I planted either didn't come up or dried and died before we could get to harvest them.

Okie said...

That's an awesome looking garden. Nicely done. :)

Weavers said...

Tee hee hee. I'm sure glad we don't work like those bees too!! I'm very envious of your garden. Next year (or sometime in our lifetime when we get a garden going again) you'll have to tell us how the drip system works. That's one good looking garden you've got!!