Monday, November 5, 2007

Microsoft

About three weeks ago, I was browsing LinkedIn to check for any new contacts I knew. I noticed one of advertisements included a job opportunity at Microsoft for an SDET. It really peaked my interest, so I submitted my resume, traded a few emails with the hiring manager, and before I knew it, I had an email setting up my interviews at Microsoft. Being really comfortable with my current job, co-workers, pay, etc. I was comforted that if it wasn't what I was looking for or if they were looking for someone else, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Thursday, I flew up to Washington, catching up on some reading I've been slowing been doing. I frequently try to get time in to read my dev and testing books (Lisa calls them my 'geek books'), but normally other things come first. Anyway, the flight was nice to get some reading in, as well as after dinner.

Friday morning, I worked out, showered, and did a bit more reading before heading up for my interviews. I first met with the recruiter, who was kind and helpful in understanding the position, who I would interview with, etc. I was really excited to see what team and project I would be working on, but obviously won't be discussing it (NDA). She sent me to my first interview, and I sat waiting, getting more nervous as the seconds went by. My first interview went horrible, as my knees were knocking, the worst part being either I looked like an idiot and apologized for my nerves, or the fact that I thought I wouldn't be nervous and was mad at myself.

I felt the second interview went pretty well, as we ate some hot clam chowder that really calmed my nerves before getting into the actual interview. The test and dev scenarios I felt I demonstrated good answers for, and was passed to the third interviewer. He was very kind as we discussed my past positions, etc. During my meeting with the recruiter, she mentioned if I made it past my third interview, it was a really good sign. So after the third interview seemed to be iffy, I asked how I could improve by what he had seen and heard, and we discussed a few items (including my frequent apologies), after which he asked me to wait while he went to speak with his boss (my fourth interview).

That interview I felt went well. After that concluded, I went back to speak with the recruiter, and was on my way back to the hotel. The flight back was nice and calm, minus the fact by this point my voice was almost gone. We'll see if they want me and are willing to make it worth my while to relocate me to Washington. If I would have been less nervous and ready to go on the first interview, I'd feel it was more likely, but we'll see. There are other issues to deal with like selling the house, finding new residence, etc., but that's for thinking about after I hear back.

No comments: