Saturday, October 6, 2007

Hero Week: Part I: Frank and Jenny

I am notorious for thinking about how grateful am I for people and the things they do, a ways after they've been so helpful. You would imagine that after so many people have done so many things, I would become more grateful and more service-oriented myself. So today starts the beginning of Hero Week: the week where each day I'll pick people who have made a momentous change in my life and the lives of my family. My fear for having to leave people who have done a lot out is overwhelmed by my gratitude for the extent to which these individuals have gone further. Without further adu:

Frank and Jenny. Frank is my third oldest brother and self-proclaimed most handsome, strongest, etc. brother. There are several things I distinctly remember from my childhood, in between times I've lost a lot of my memories due to "rough times" and trying to forget, that I'm grateful to Frank for. Frank loves basketball, and loved to play more back when the knees weren't such a pain, literally. I remember several times when I was < 10, I would spend hours each day shooting hoops in front of our house. When Frank's friends would come over to play ball, or go over to the church and play, he frequently would invite me (not just let me) play. I thought it was because I was so good. The things you learn later in life.

When Frank came home from his mission to have work done on his knee(and return shortly thereafter), we stsyed in the same room for about a month. I remember it wasn't a painful thing for him (staying in the same room, not knee surgery). He'd have me push hard on his leg, and tease me about how hard I *wasn't* pushing, and spending time with me a lot.

When he was married and was living in Cedar City, and I was having self-esteem issues, Frank and Jenny invited me down for a week during summer break. I remember crying on their couch, with them patiently listening to what I was struggling with, and trying to help. I remember a few walks at night around Cedar City where we'd talk about anything on my mind, and how great I felt having such great friends.

When I lived with Frank and Jenny while mom and dad were on their mission, I remember many times of stuffed pork chops, watching Toy Story 2 so many times with James and Ben, going out to Jenny's parents for dinner on Sundays.

Since I've been married, Frank and Jenny have always brought meals when we needed help (baby births, Lisa's knee surgery, etc). I remember spending a night automating my sprinkling system, putting the big swing together, and many other times where Frank would bring the kids to help Jenny have a break and to teach the kids about service and helping others. After the twins were born, Jenny brought all four kids out to help us around the house, bring lunch, and play Wii, while Jenny and the boys took turns holding the kids.

This is a relationship I never want to lose. Calls to just chat, see how things are going, discuss the slow demise of the Atlanta Braves, just whatever.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

No comments: