Friday, October 12, 2007

Hero Week: Part VI: My Parents

Wayne and Eileen Moore. After becoming a father of three, I can't begin to imagine being parents of seven. It's been quite interesting to realize just what torture I must have been to my parents, as I learn daily the blessings and struggles of having children. The good news is that my children show the struggles within me, not that they're any real troublemakers. Sadly, I don't think that applied to me as a kid. My parents showed their true colors by working on graying hairs instead of pulling it out. Just like my earlier entry about Paul and Mo, they are examples of what we all wish we had the character, integrity, discipline, and drive to be like.

I can't imagine having six eagle scouts as sons. I can't imagine sending so many sons on missions, help with homework, teaching to fish, providing for, feeding, keeping reverent in church, etc. You'd think at one point they'd realize they had no time for themselves, and take a step back. But I am as impressed today as I ever have been, giving up times with grandchildren, comfort (that's an understatement serving a mission in Uganda), and many other luxuries most grandparents I'm sure take for granted. I'm so excited to have them return in just over a month from their third mission.

For their love for me, for the Lord, for the countless times they've made the best impression on me, for their diligence in what they must have wondered about me been a toss up whether I would turn out alright or not, and for their constant vigilance in doing what's right.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

No comments: