Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Hero Week Day 3: Rob & Liz

Day 3 is all about Rob and Liz (my brother and sister in law).

When they were married, Liz's dad gave Rob a dollar. He said Rob would need it as Liz is extremely generous. Rob and Liz are frequently doing great acts of kindness that go unnoticed except those they're blessing. I remember multiple times growing up I was invited to play basketball with Rob and his friends when I'm sure it wouldn't have been any of his friends' first choice. You never know what great examples you have around you because they're just humble and consistent. The thing that amazes me most about Rob and Liz is simple: doing what's right looks easy. I've never heard Rob or Liz complain. It just doesn't fit who they are. They always look like they have something to laugh about or just a smile implying they have it great, even on occasions when they don't.

I remember when Rob was knocked out cold playing soccer. After coming to (in the hospital) he motioned for a pencil and paper, as he couldn't speak. He wanted to know what happened, and make sure everyone knew he'd be just fine.

Rob always seemed to know what I'd do (wrong) before I did it. I remember his advice I didn't take before I left on my mission. I remember playing basketball with some guys that were getting out of control. He took me aside and said I should go home. I told him I could take care of myself. It got out of control. If I did all this for someone else (with great care) and they treated me like that, it'd take a long time for me to get over, if I ever did. Rob still calls to check in, see how things are going.

Hero week is about people that have the attributes I crave. I'm so grateful for great people and that I'm blessed to have them in my life.

Love you Rob and Liz!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

No comments: