Thursday, October 8, 2009

Hero Week Day 4: Harvey and Mary Brown

For years growing up I had an extra set of grandparents next door. Harvey and Mary Brown were the best things growing up. I could spend all day over at their house. Playing games, eating sugar cereals not found at my house, etc. Later in life going over with Rich to play Rook. The losers put the scorecard on their fridge to give them added reason to play again soon. I miss so much having two people so easy to talk to. I frequently tell Lisa when we die, I can't wait to introduce her to them.

As a common theme this week, I didn't realize how much they gave until later in life. I never thought that they had other plans, places to be, etc. It was all about me. I love how they were always finding new ways to make me happy, like it was their only goal in life. It's like the grandparents that tell all their grandchildren (individually, of course) that they are the favorite.

I wish I had the chance to tell them how much they meant to me before they passed away. Some of my most vivid memories were at their place when I was young. The Easter egg hunts, playing cards, helping wash dishes and thinking it was fun because it was at their house, learning to ride without training wheels.

Giving with the only expectation of joy and friendship. I miss you so much.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

No comments: