Sunday, October 11, 2009

Hero Week Day 7: Lisa

As Hero Week comes to the end for 2009, it gets harder to choose who will make it this year and those who will have to wait for next year. So many people have made a big influence in my life. I'm grateful for an outlet to publicly thank others and remind them how incredible they are. There have been several this week that have touched my life so frequently and with such power that it's hard to single out specific individuals. However, this week must end with a redo of a past hero.

As several of the choices in my life have led me to be unsure of myself, one of the few constants in my life is Lisa. Not only has she brought me from a time where I was even more unsure of myself, she has quietly yet forcefully made all the difference. Lately I've noticed several attributes of Lisa and wanted to point them out as my way of saying thank you. Hopefully this doesn't come across as Celine Dion-ish. :)

You have to know the answer to give it

I used to love the phrase "fake it 'til you make it". It made me feel more confident that I could work my way through life trying to be the best I could until that was who I was. What I've learned since, is that in trying to fake so much, you need to take a break to see how your heroes accomplish the task, then emulate it. Pretending to be something your not intending to become it doesn't work. Working hard to emulate others in the correct things they do allows for frequent course correction to actually "make it".

This is Lisa. As most of you know, she's pregnant. She's still in her first trimester and extremely tired. She takes care of three children, runs the house, laundry, food. She's in the Young Women's presidency. She has lofty goals for painting the off-white ceilings and trim. She takes care of the garden and constant is talking about improvements to the yard. She wants the kids to enjoying gymnastics or some other sport. Teaching Sydney to play the piano. A husband that tries hard but fails a lot. And throughout all this, she is the most happy person I know.

Lisa is so much the better half, it brings such joy to my life. She has all the answers and in her humble, patient way, frequently helps me in learning how to become more.

Consistency

Lisa doesn't know how to stop. She's a freight train with things to get done and she's moving fast. One of my two main goals this year has been consistency. Lisa has tried to help by making every effort to support me in all that I do. She dislikes those who nag and doesn't do it. She does, in kind ways, remind me of things I want to accomplish. She has blessed me with an understanding I'm still learning to adapt to: do your best, make small changes, and be happy with who you are.

I am incredible at starting new goals, ways to improve, but dropping the ball on past items. Lisa is the model for consistency (and looks like a model too). I'm so grateful for someone who will share her secrets to success.

Loving

If there were anything I was concerned about losing when moving from my parents' house and getting married, it was my mom's frequently shown love for me, and my dad's hard work ethic. I know you marry someone just like your mom or your dad, but I did better: I got both in one. Lisa shows her love slightly differently, but with all the same intensity my mom did. The children all know their mom loves her because she spends a lot of quality time. She thinks about them all the time. She blesses their lives in more ways than they can see. This applies to her love for me as well.

Bean - you're amazing. I'm so grateful for all you are. You are my hero. Thanks for being patient with me and keep pushing me to meet my goals. Love you!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

3 comments:

linda said...

Josh, I've enjoyed reading your posts during "Hero Week". It's made me stop and think about all the "heros" in my life.
Thanks!

Okie said...

Another great Hero Week comes to an end. Loved it. Thanks for sharing your heroes with the world. :)

Debra said...

She is awesome : )