Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hero Week Day 6: Natalie

As much as I love the twins, I didn't want to call them out as heroes so quickly. I love them a lot and they are incredible kids, but I want my gratitude to go to those who have taught me the most, or made a big impact in my life. That being said, now I know why they're my heroes.

I think there are several sides to me. One is intended to be humble, considerate and kind. I see several of those people on my Hero Week list. One is passionate, driven, who gets things done out of duty and honor. There are definitely those on the list. The third side is the need to be funny, silly, and spontaneous (Lisa's word for this part of me would be "weird" or "immature", in a kind way). It's this side I see how Natalie affects me so.

Natalie is a spunky little thing. Always wants the spotlight. Always knows how to get what she wants using many different weapons in her arsenal. I thought we had a bit in common just because (for another 7 months) we're both the youngest in our family. When Grandma Moore is around, it's looking like a tender lamb, who is ignored and malnourished. Grandma will then pick her up, and hold her for hours on end. When we're at the dinner table, it's playing with her food or making funny faces to make us laugh as well as keep attention on her. When we're watching a movie or just hanging out, she laughs at all the opportune times, despite not being old enough to get the joke (just that everyone else is laughing).

The thing she really does well at is being a great friend. Sure, she and Tanner have had their "it's mine" fests, where I swear they're two seagulls from Finding Nemo. Sure, Mrs. Grumpy Gills comes out on occasion. But when it's just the two of us, she makes the best friend. Lisa and Tanner went to the grocery store tonight, so Syd, Nano, and I played for awhile. When they got bored of playing cars, Sydney started pretending she couldn't see Natalie. Natalie got this big grin on her face, pushed Sydney a little, and Sydney flailed onto the love sac. This repeated over and over as they both came up with new ideas on how to make it even more funny.

Natalie has this way with everyone. She adapts to different people to see what they find funny, what makes them happy, and just makes it happen. It's fun to see how she makes Lisa happy versus Tanner. She knows my buttons to push (both good and bad). I love when she doesn't need to be reminded to say "please" and "thank you". She pauses after saying these kind words, looking at me for the express purpose to say "I did this to please you".

Sometimes I get so focused on trying to do what's right, I lose the friendship qualities. Doing what is right is important. Not losing your friends in the process, not judging, and not coming off like Mr. perfect (while we all know it's just the opposite) etc. is equally as important. I really love Nano because she knows what she wants, she's really good at it, and it frequently includes helping others. Her best friend is Puppy. Her little stuffed animal takes baths when she does, takes naps, washes hands when dirty, etc. She cries when he goes in the wash.

Natalie is my hero because she loves me and finds ways to make me happy, as great friends do. I love you sweetie!

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

No comments: