Monday, October 19, 2009

Resolutions

Lately I've started my yearly ritual of preparing for New Year's resolutions in October. Yes. I know New Years is two months away. I like to practice before I get there so my goals are more habits that I've set. Okay...my calendar is wrong and I'm off my rocker.

That being said, I listened to a talk by Jeffrey R. Holland that points out these three points about doing what is right and doing it now:

1. See the value.
2. Set it as a priority.
3. Scheduling won't be required because the need will dictate.

I thought this was so profound. I'm a list making guy. I made a list of the seven things I'm working on being consistent with daily and monthly. I created a spreadsheet to track how I've been doing. Just seeing the list helps me remember to do them. Seeing my consistency gives me more desire to make sure they're not just tasks, but see their value more and more. I've found that when these items have value, everything else falls into place.

Here's my list:
1. Morning Prayer.
2. Physical Exercise.
3. Personal Scripture Study.
4. Family Scripture Study.
5. Evening Prayer.
6. Monthly Temple Attendance.
7. Monthly Home Teaching.

What's your list?

2 comments:

Debra said...

Don't forget "Have fun!"

Josh Moore said...

That one goes without saying :) I totally spaced FHE on the list. We need some excuse to get you and Lisa out to lunch or something.