Sunday, October 12, 2008

Hero Week Day 7: Chris Okelberry


As Hero Week ends its second year, the last hero needs to be Chris "Okie" Okelberry. There have been many times, probably unbeknownst to him, that he's really saved my sanity. Chris and I worked together at Access Software and Microsoft. He has a knack for working hard yet keeping things light. Even while he's worked at other companies, an occasional chat, hanging out with he and Lynette, game nights, chess, etc. has kept our friendship going. For anyone who really knows me, they know I'm picky and have (frequently too) high expectations of others. Chris just takes the cake. There has never been a game night, or time we got together, that we weren't laughing hysterically and having a great time, or what just a casual conversation doesn't make me more happy, learn something new, etc.

Another thing I really like about Chris is his ability to cope with change, pressure, problems, and emergencies. You can tell someone who has their head on their shoulders and has weathered many storms before when problems arise, especially emergencies. My tendency is the ostrich (stick your head in the ground). Chris excels under pressure, and you can see his personal growth by this. I really appreciate his example in this, and hope that by frequent interaction that I can emulate these qualities.

Chris has always been and will be a great friend.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

PS. If you don't include Okie's blog on your Google Reader list and follow it, you need to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, is it over? I'm going to miss Hero Week. You're great, Josh!!

Okie said...

Wow...talk about a surprise. Thanks so much for your kind words. You're awesome Josh. I don't know what else to say...other than Thanks and I hope I can live up to your glowing review of me. :)